Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Air Quality in Paranaque

When Taal Volcano erupted last year, the first thing I tried to look for was air quality information in Paranaque. The only information I found last year was more general air quality across Metro Manila. I realized that we just take for granted the quality of air we breathe. Most of us just assume it's dirty. 

I started to learn more about air quality because I have asthma. It gets triggered with bad air. It happens mostly when I'm visiting other countries. That's how I learned to check air quality indicators. In the Philippines, awareness for checking air quality started only in the last few years. It's usually highlighted in the news during new year and volcanic eruptions. 


The good news is we found a dedicated Paranaque Air Quality page. You can access it here: https://www.iqair.com/us/philippines/ncr/paranaque. The data comes from two points in Paranaque: Unioil NAIA and Multinational Village. You may also see the ranking of cities on the page. You can become a contributor for this data by going to this page. Another website that provides air quality information is PurpleAir.com.

If you are concerned about keeping your air clean at home, it's best to have an air purifier. This is what I scrambled to buy when the Taal Volcano erupted last year. I was caught unprepared and didn't even have masks at home. Luckily a friend sent me some masks to keep me protected. 

No comments:

Post a Comment